January 8, 2018

bank fraud in Guatemala

even before i came to Guatemala i heard much about the bank card fraud here.  i've made it around the world a few times without problems with ATMs - well, India last year was a little bit ugly but that was a political issue pushed onto the banks.  i have been using the ATM most recommended by expats as having the fewest problems.  still, the fraud is so prevelant here my bank shut down access to my account as i was trying to get cash on a saturday.  love my bank.  i called and a real person answered [ON A SATURDAY!] and took care of the problem.  a different time the machine didn't give me any cash but debited my account.  again, a call to my bank [who said yep, happens all the time in Guat] and one day later i had the debit reversed. during the security screen they asked how long i had been banking with them and it turns out i've been with them for 20 years  - and i've never had a complaint about their service.    the banking system here sucks.  this country takes corruption to a new level but that's a whole other post.

No comments:

Post a Comment